|Total Maximum Daily Load: Approaches & Challenges presents concepts, approaches, case studies, and applications of the cutting-edge technologies used to develop and implement an effective and innovative TMDL program. Case studies discussed in this book mostly focus on three major causes of water impairment in the United States: bacteria, sediments, nutrients.
TMDL has nine chapters written by experts who have significant knowledge and experience on issues related to the TMDL program. Valuable information for anyone involved with pollution control -- state and federal water quality agencies, consulting engineering firms, publicly owned treatment works, environmental biologists and chemists, and public health officials.
Key Features and Benefits
- Chapters 1-3 introduce the readers to TMDL regulations, approaches, and stakeholder involvement.
- Chapters 4-6 provide an overview of unique case studies and strategies.
- Chapters 7-9 go beyond the traditional TMDL approach and discuss innovative and alternative approaches, i.e., effluent trading, adaptive managment, and use attainability analysis.
Table of Contents
- Origins and Status of TMDL Regulations
- TMDL Development Approaches
- Stakeholder Involvement in TMDL Policy Decisions
- TMDL Case Studies
- Approaches to Developing a TMDL Implementation Plan
- Bacterial Source Tracking: Concept and Application to TMDL
- Taxonomy of Effluent Trading Programs: Concepts and Applications to TMDLs
- Assessment of the Value of New Information for Adaptive TMDLs
- Use Attainability Analysis: Principles and Case Studies
About the Author
Dr. Tamim Younos, editor of this compilation, is Interim Director of the Virginia Water Resources Research Center and a Senior Research Scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Dr Younos completed his education in civil and environmental engineering and earned a doctorate of engineering from the University of Tokyo. His research and teaching interests include environmental hydrology, watershed assessment, and water quality standards. He has been a principal investigator for over 35 research projects and has authored more than 125 research/technical publications. He lectures internationally.
Approx. 343 pages/Hardcover/6x9/2005