by Steve Devereux
This new drilling manual is divided into three distinct parts: well planning, wellsite operations, and reference information. It addresses all major drilling topics as well as the associated engineering topics necessary for today's team drilling approach. The emphasis of the book is practical, showing the user how to achieve safe and cost effective wells.
- Section 1: Well Design; Preliminary work for the well design; Well design: general; Precompletion and completion design; Casing design; Directional design.
- Section 2: Well Programming; Preliminary work for the drilling program; Well control; Directional planning; Drillbit selection, parameters, and hydraulics; Drilling fluids program; Casing running program; Cementing program; Formation evaluation; Drilling problems - avoidance planning.
- Section 3: Practical Wellsite Operations and Reporting; Well control; Drilling fluid; Drilling problems; Casing; Cementing; Drillbits; Directional drilling; Writing the final well report.
- Appendix 1: Calculating kick tolerances
- Appendix 2: Formation integrity test recommended procedure
- Appendix 3: Information resources
- Appendix 4: Drilling equipment lists by operation
- Appendix 5: Conductor setting depth for taking returns to the flowline
- List of acronyms
522 Pages/Hardcover/March 1998