Designed for easy reading and accessibility, this bestselling book by Norman Hyne provides an enormous amount of useful information on the upstream petroleum industry.
The new updated 3rd Edition includes a new chapter on unconventional oil and gas (including gas shales), covers new well-logging tools and new drilling rigs, and adds a number of new figures and plates.
Thousands of professionals and students have used this upstream guide to further their understanding of petroleum geology, exploration, drilling, and production.
724 Pages/Hardcover/6x9/March 2012!
- The nature of gas and oil
- The Earth’s crust—where we find it
- Identification of common rocks and minerals
- Geological time
- Deformation of sedimentary rocks
- Ocean environment and plate tectonics
- Sedimentary rock distribution
- Source rocks, generation, migration, and accumulation of petroleum
- Reservoir rocks
- Petroleum traps
- Petroleum exploration—geological and geochemical
- Petroleum exploration—geophysical
- Drilling preliminaries
- Drilling a well—the mechanics
- Drilling problems
- Drilling techniques
- Testing a well
- Completing a well
- Surface treatment and storage
- Reservoir mechanics
- Petroleum production
- Improved oil recovery
- Unconventional oil and gas