Firefighting is combat and should be viewed as a warrior's calling. Firefighters put themselves in harm's way to protect others, a selflessness rooted in the same noble drive as the military warriors who defend our nation. This book about combat is meant to be a guide for those who seek to follow a warrior's path, the path of the fire service warrior.
Today's firefighter must be a warrior who will unflinchingly put his very life in harm's way to accomplish a mission, but who is also fully informed about the path being chosen. Embracing the philosophy of the fire service warrior, and striving for the ready position--the synthesis of physical and mental readiness that allows for optimum fireground performance--can reduce firefighter injuries and fatalities.
The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness will be an invaluable tool for firefighters, company officers, chief officers, and instructors.
281 Pages/Hardcover/6x9/March 2011
- Introduction: A combat position
- The mission, virtues, and values of a fire service warrior
- You want me to do what?
- The foundation: physical and mental preparation
- The fundamentals: tactics, techniques, and guidelines
- Fireground tactical decision making
- Making the turn
- Appendix A: The fire service warrior's reading list
- About the author